There are many résumé services available online, including mine. Prices range from $50-$1000 and most of them offer to write your résumé for you. If you are serious about your career, hiring a résumé writer is a big mistake which will make you worse-off than you were before. Creating an effective résumé takes time. It requires deep insight, thoughtfulness, industry knowledge, meticulous attention to detail, hiring and interviewing experience, and a long term career strategy. You can bet that the low price point in this industry is enabled by sending clients offshore where low-paid workers plug your data into nice looking (but generic) templates. Don’t do it! Not only will your résumé not be very strong, but you will be missing out on one of the best benefits of taking an active hand in crafting your own résumé: developing a deeper understanding of your profession, your career strategy, and yourself.
Instead of hiring a resume writer, hire a resume consultant. Here’s what a great resume consultant does:
- Asks you about your career goals so they can craft the résumé to reflect your short and longer term strategies.
- Identifies red flags. Most people have something bad in their résumés. It might be a typo, it might be a lack of clarity, or it might be something that could get them into trouble later (after they’ve started the job). Most of all, the résumé consultant will help you to see the résumé in the way that hiring managers will and can help you to avoid common pitfalls.
- Helps you to structure your resume in a way that makes sense for your specific experience, skills and goals and in order to play up your greatest strengths.
- Advises you on what works well and what doesn’t. A strong résumé consultant has reviewed hundreds if not thousands of resumes as a hiring manager themselves and knows what to look for so you can stand out from the crowd.
- Helps you to understand yourself better. Most professionals are very self-critical and fail to clearly see where they excel above their peers. By the same token, people can become so focused on perceived shortcomings that they miss other areas where they may need even more help. A good résumé consultant will easily spot these patterns and help you to develop enhanced awareness.
- Engages you in the process so your résumé reflects your personality and style. Hiring managers can typically spot generic, lifeless resumes; it’s tough to stand out when you look like everyone else.
- Coaches you on crafting smart, meaningful, quantifiable statements which help the hiring manager/recruiter to truly understand what you can bring to the job and to the organization.
The next time you are looking for a résumé writer, consider the possible return on investment of a great résumé: 10% salary increase? 20% increase? Greater job satisfaction? Shorter commute? New career? It’s well worth the money, and certainly the time, to create a resume which significantly advances your personal goals.
Questions? Feel free to contact me